4th Annual Block Island Giant Shark Tournament
July 13th – 15th, 2017
Block Island, Rhode Island
Welcome to the 4th Annual Block Island Giant Shark Tournament, the best New sport fishing event on the East Coast. We welcome you to Block Island if you are a seasoned tournament fisherman, or a Team fresh to the sport. There will be a great time, and some great fishing. Bring your team and your family for a vacation on beautiful Block Island. Located close to some of the best fishing grounds in New England, a great harbor, great restaurants, and world class beaches. Please send your application and entry fee as soon as possible as slip and mooring space is can only be guaranteed to the first 50 boats. This is a fishing tournament for fishermen, run by fishermen with the concerns of the fishermen at heart. Note our extended fishing times to allow our participants to get both the first morning bite, and the late afternoon bite.
- Registration is by the Boat, and Anglers, Anglers must be listed, and anglers may not switch boats. In the event of a boat disability, a boat not entered in the tournament may fish in the name of the tournament registered boat with prior approval from the tournament.
- NO COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSELS ALLOWED!! Charter boats are permitted.
- It is recommended that each boat and anglers have the required Federal, and State licenses. Entrants will not be monitored by the tournament for such, It is the boat, and each anglers responsibility.
- Fishing days are Friday 7-15-2016, and Saturday 7-16-2016. All Boats must leave no earlier than 4:00 AM. Boats must call upon leaving the break water on the VHF channel, and call in on the VHF when returning. Friday: Lines in time is 6:00 AM, Lines out time is 5:00 PM. Saturday Lines in time is: 6:00 AMA fish hooked up prior to lies out time can be fought, but must be in a position to weigh in before 7:30 each day. Weigh station hours are 4:00PM to 7:30 PM Friday, and 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM Saturday. Official tournament time is local GPS time.
- All fish must be reported on the designated VHF channel when hooked, and when boated or released, and recorded on each boats catch report.
- IGFA rules apply. Rod and reel ONLY, Unlimited number of rods, 130 lb. Line test maximum, Unlimited lb test leaders, NO harpoons or Bang Sticks
- Only one shark per boat per day.
- Acceptable species: Thresher, Blue, and Mako. Minimum weight for Thresher: 225 LB, Minimum weight for Blue: 200 lb, and Mako: 175 lb. Mutilated fish will not be accepted at weigh in at tournaments sole discretion.
- Tournament observers, Photographers, and or Scientists may be placed on any tournament registered boat at the tournaments sole discretion. Any boat that deys such request by the tournament will be disqualified immediately.
- All Sharks caught are, and will remain the sole property of the catching boat, and are subject to inspection by the Tournament Biologist. Any discarded carcasses will be required to be disposed of at sea. any boat discarding any parts or whole carcasses in the harbor will be disqualified,
- There is no weather committee. The decision to fish is left solely to participants who do so at their own risk.
- Any protest must be made in writing and presented to the Tournament Committee by 7:30 PM each day.
- All Tournament decisions are final.
- All boats are required to submit Catch and Release Affidavits each day.
- A sportsman like conduct is required of all participants: No display of Shark Heads, or parts. Violation will result in immediate disqualification from the tournament. No second chances.
- All anglers and crew will be held to a code of conduct.
- Any and all disputes must be submitted to the tournament in writing, and their review is final.
4th Annual Block Island GIANT SHARK Tournament
RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT
I and my team and crew agree and understand that the CT Big Game Fishing Club a Connecticut corporation.
I and my team and crew agree and understand that the Corporation, its directors, employees and agents shall not be liable under any circumstances for any injuries or damages to person or property, arising out of, resulting from or in any way connected with my, or my crews participation in any tournament whether caused by negligent act or negligent omission of the Corporation, or by any other reason or cause whatsoever. In consideration of the acceptance of me and my team and crew entry and for other good and valuable consideration received, we hereby remise, release and forever discharge the Corporation and its respective heirs, executors, administrators, legal representatives, successors and assigns of and from all claims, suits, obligations, liabilities, losses, damages, costs or expenses which our team or our heirs, executors, administrators, legal representatives, successors and assigns may have against the Corporation, arising out of, resulting from, or in any way connected with my participation in the above described Tournament. We understand that this release includes any claims based on any negligent act or negligent omission of the Corporation.
To the fullest extent permitted by the law, I and my team and crew hereby agree to indemnify, to defend with counsel acceptable to the Corporation and to hold harmless the Corporation, from and against any and all claims, suits, obligations, liabilities, losses, damages, costs or expenses including but not limited to reasonable attorney fees, suffered by the Corporation or by any other person or persons, whatsoever, arising out of, resulting from or in any way connected with my participation in any Tournament including any and all claims, suits, obligations, liabilities, losses damages, costs or expenses caused in whole or in part by any negligent act or negligent omission of the Corporation, or anyone for whose acts the Corporation may be liable regardless of whether it is caused in part by a party indemnified hereunder.
This agreement shall take effect as an instrument under seal and be binding upon insure to the benefit of my, and my team’s and crew’s, heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns.
Signature Print Name Date
Giant Shark Tournament Participant:
We provide bait and chum to help us, and the local businesses here in Rhode island. Please make an effort to purchase all your bait and chum purchases with the CT Big Game Fishing Club. Our Bait is supplied by a local Rhode island Company.
Last year Mackerel chum was in short supply. We do not know what this year will bring. If it is in short supply we will do our best to get it. It is even better to make your own chum in a small barrel. Use 5-8 gallons sea water as a base, and chop or grind two flats of mackerel add to the water with a gallon of fish oil, and ladle it over the side sparingly. It works very well. Some blue fish carcasses mixed in is even better.
Our bait suppliers require payment in advance and they won’t accept returns, therefore we need accurate counts on chum, bait and fish oil a week prior to the tournament.
Suggested Bait & Chum for
2 Days of Giant Shark Fishing
8 buckets chum
6+ flats mackerel/ Bunker
3-4 gallons fish oil
Remember, when you buy from the CT Big Game Fishing Club you help support us and the local business here in Rhode Island, When Docked at Payne's Dock: Your bait and chum is placed IN YOUR BOAT'S COCKPIT EACH DAY in the early morning hours (between 1:00 AM and 3:00 AM). Boats docked at other Marinas must pick up their bait at Payne's dock.
Please help support the local businesses that support us.
CT Big Game Fishing Club